Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Matter of Principles

What principles should define the new America?

In my opinion, multiple principles should define America. I think that we should have an economy that has a mix of both regulation and laissez-faire policy. Regulation will make sure that business' are kept in line with their practices; for example, making sure that they are adhering to environmental regulations and laws. However, I think that laissez-faire should be incorporated as well so that a free market may endure. People believe that the 80 billion dollar loan to AIG is a violation of this; however, most do not realize that the money was only promised, and that in fact the deal is to allow the government to buy stock, up to 80%. Socially, I think that there needs to be a shift towards a moderate thinking. The pervasiveness of immorality is irritating, and is only getting worse. Children are growing up with confusing messages about issues such as sex, and thus this will almost definitely negatively affect them. In foreign policy, I think we need to be a bit more introverted; I'm not suggesting we completely pull out of world policy, but we should not be so brash. This might, in my opinion, cause less of a negative perception of America; leaders like Hugo Chavez might not be so quick to judge the United States then.

No comments: